Alright. Time to do this.
As anyone who follows my personal blog knows, I lost my little brother, John Primm, to a bike accident on Wednesday, July 24. He was never my best friend, but he was my constant friend. He antagonized me in ways that always made me want to be better, just to prove him wrong.
When he was proud of me when I started writing for mental_floss and when I started really going on this blog, it meant more to me than anybody else. He was only 22 years old.
Above all, even though he appreciated science, and loved my work (he gave me the Marie Curie book in the bottom picture), he loved the arts. He was an actor, a set designer, and a member of the tech crew. His passion for life and Theater and learning and fun kept me going so many times when I felt utterly depressed and down. He laughed freely, taught me not to dwell on the tragedies in life (as I had a habit of doing until just a couple years ago), and was instrumental in kicking me in the butt when I felt discouraged.
I know this has nothing to do with science, but if it weren’t for his encouragement, I wouldn’t still be doing this blog, and I hope some of you appreciate that.
- There is a fund set up in his name, to promote and bolster the Madison, WI Theater Arts societies and organizations. If you have any money to spare, please consider donating even just a dollar or two. Any amount is immensely appreciated - even if you feel like it’s insignificant.
HOWEVER - I do have a few incentives. I still take regular requests, of course, but those are done on a super-dubious timeline, and I avoid a lot of topics and animals.
- Anyone who makes any donation will be publicly thanked in a post next week, with links to their blog if they wish to include their screen-name on the donation site.
- Anyone who donates $25 or more can request any subject for me to post on - even subjects I usually avoid for fear of controversy - and I will do a regular-length post on it. [example] Use your tumblr name in the “from” box and message me on here to make your requests.
- Anyone who donates $50 or more can request any subject for me to post on, and I will write either a feature-length post with primary sources cited [example] [example] or I will write you two regular posts, on any subject.
- THESE POSTS WILL BE DONE WITHIN A WEEK OF DONATION - STUNNING, I KNOW. Your tumblr blog will be prominently linked to, as well. This applies to donations made at any point in the next 200 days, not just right now.
If nothing else, have a quality drink, some amazing bakery, and spare a thought for an amazingly full and vibrant life, lost too young.
For those wondering, no laws were broken. He was observing the rules of the road, and the girl that hit him appears to have been doing so, too. It was a groggy Wednesday morning, and everyone was just trying to get to work. She was only 20. She will have to live with this her entire life. Please spare a thought for her sake, too.