C’mon down to the Isle of Pines! We’ve got cocoa beans!
The Isle of Pines was indefinitely leased to the US in the Platt Amendment, the same amendment that cordoned off the area that Guantanamo Bay is now located in.
However, unlike Guantanamo Bay, the Isle of Pines was reclaimed by the Cuban government when the new Cuban Constitution was drafted in 1940. It’s now called Isla de la Juventud. Despite its extremely good soil for planting and its ideal climate for tropical fruits, the Tropical Development Company never turned a profit from their developments there.
Prospectus of the Tropical Development Company, Founders of the American City and Colony of McKinley Isle of Pines. 1904.